Investor Advocates for Social Justice (IASJ) is Hiring an Associate Director
To Apply: Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to Mary Beth Gallagher, Executive Director, at email@example.com. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Summary of the Position
The Associate Director will lead the strategic direction and implementation of IASJ’s Mission-Aligned Investing (MAI) Program for faith-based institutional asset owners (Affiliates). The MAI Program provides IASJ Affiliates and partners with the tools and skills to analyze their portfolios, define the investment practices which support meaningful mission alignment, and engage with their financial advisors to incorporate environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors in due diligence and investment decisions. The program equips Affiliates with education, peer learning spaces, and resources to implement mission-aligned asset allocation that advances human rights, climate justice, racial equity, and the common good, alongside investment objectives. The MAI program will strengthen the connection and alignment of faith-based investors’ active and pioneering shareholder advocacy work with the investment practices and the management of the portfolio assets. The learnings and tools from the pilot MAI program will be disseminated to amplify its impact, among faith-based investors and the broader investment community.
The successful candidate should possess an understanding of investment markets and ESG products, investment consulting, or portfolio construction, and have familiarity with trends and subject matter on ESG integration, impact investing, business and human rights, or sustainability. The Associate Director will report to the Executive Director and contribute to the overall management and success of the organization and commitment to addressing mission alignment and racial justice through our work. This is a full-time 12-month grant-funded position, with the possibility for extension contingent upon grant renewal or securing additional funding.
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the Mission-Aligned Investing Program, including internal and external relationships.
- Sustain a cohort of participating asset owners and investment committee members; convene monthly cohort meetings, communications, develop and disseminate tools, coaching, lead presentations, and facilitate conversations with key decision-makers. Engage with asset managers and investment consultants to align objectives.
- Create programming, consult with subject matter experts, and develop succinct resources to increase education, awareness, and implementation among faith-based asset owners of investment strategies to advance socially responsible investing, ESG integration, and/or impact investing. Guide Affiliates’ work on development of investment guidelines, manager evaluation, and impact measurement.
- Lead verbal and written communications about the MAI Program to disseminate best practices and resources broadly to advance objectives and uptake.
- Stay abreast of research and trends in responsible, ESG, and impact investing and strategic investment topics and share key takeaways with key stakeholders.
- Participate in networks and working groups relevant to Mission-Aligned Investing.
- Support overall organizational priorities, engagements, and strategic goals and commitment to furthering the mission of Investor Advocates for Social Justice.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, business, or accounting. Master’s degree or equivalent experience preferred.
- Minimum of 4-6 years of professional experience, or equivalent education, in the financial services field, such as in marketing and client services, business development, investment consulting, investment advisory services, portfolio construction, ESG analysis, or manager selection or evaluation.
- Possess strong analytical skills, vision, and strategic thinking.
- Demonstrated commitment to mission-aligned work and commitment to IASJ’s mission priorities, including human rights, climate justice, racial equity, and the common good.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial justice and strong critical analysis of racial capitalism, economic justice, and the racial wealth gap. Ability, or willingness to learn, to integrate racial equity analysis into all aspects of the position.
- Comfort working within the Catholic faith tradition and interfaith settings. Commitment to learning about faith-based values and mission priorities of IASJ Affiliates and partners to inform MAI Program outputs.
- Excellent oral and written, internal and external communication and presentation skills.
- Strong project management, time management, and organizational skills.
- Possess a strong work ethic and demonstrate sound judgment. Have a high degree of flexibility and ability to adjust to changing circumstances in a small, face-paced nonprofit environment.
- Proven ability to take initiative and work as both a self-starter and team member.
- Experience working with nonprofits strongly preferred.
About Investor Advocates for Social Justice (IASJ)
Investor Advocates for Social Justice (IASJ) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that advocates on behalf of a community of investors with over $3 billion in assets under management, whose faith-based values promote human rights, climate justice, racial equity and the common good. IASJ’s shared vision is an equitable economy where investors leverage their collective voice and resources to advance social, economic, and environmental justice. IASJ conducts programs and provides services for its Affiliates, who are faith-based asset owners who strive to align their investments with their mission and who recognize their investment portfolios can also be an instrument to advance their ministries. IASJ seeks to create an inclusive and equitable workplace and foster strong working and collegial relationships among the team. Founded in 1975, formerly known as Tri-State Coalition for Responsible Investment, IASJ has over forty-five years of experience with shareholder advocacy and responsible investment.
Anticipated Start Date: As soon as possible.
Location: Our team is currently working remotely until COVID-19 allows for safe return to the office, which is in Montclair, NJ. The location is flexible and full-time remote work could be accommodated, if candidate has a willingness to travel for the role as needed, including occasionally to work in the office.
Compensation & Benefits: The annual salary for the position is $80,000 – $92,000 and a benefits package which includes health and dental insurance, a 403(b) plan after one-year, and generous vacation.
Investor Advocates for Social Justice is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, equity, and fostering inclusion and a sense of belonging. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.