IASJ is Hiring- Associate Director Position
Position: Associate Director, Mission-Aligned Investing
To Apply: Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to Mary Beth Gallagher, Executive Director, at email@example.com and will be considered on a rolling basis.
Summary of the Position
The Associate Director will lead the design and implementation of a new Program on Mission-Aligned Investing for faith-based institutional asset owners (Affiliates). The Mission-Aligned Investing Program will provide IASJ Affiliates with the tools and skills to analyze their portfolios, define what investment practices constitute meaningful mission alignment, and engage with their investment consultants and asset managers to incorporate environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors in due diligence and investment decisions. The program will equip Affiliates with education, peer learning spaces, and resources to implement mission-aligned asset allocation that advances human rights, climate justice, racial equity, and the common good, alongside investment objectives. IASJ is seeking to support Affiliates in strengthening the connection and alignment of their active and pioneering shareholder advocacy work with the investment practices and management of the portfolio assets. Effective communication and dissemination of the tools and learnings from this initiative will help to amplify its impact, among faith-based investors and the broader investment community.
The successful candidate should possess an understanding of investment markets and ESG products, investment consulting, or portfolio construction, and have subject matter expertise on ESG integration, business and human rights, or sustainability. The Associate Director will report to the Executive Director and contribute to the overall management and success of the organization and commitment to addressing racial justice through our work. This is a grant-funded position with a commitment for 18 months, with the possibility for extension contingent upon grant renewal or securing additional funding.
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the Mission-Aligned Investing Program, including through internal and external relationships.
- Establish and sustain a cohort of participating asset owners and their asset managers, investment consultants, and investment committees. Convene meetings, communications, develop and disseminate tools, and facilitate conversations with key decision-makers.
- Develop resources and programming to increase education, awareness, and implementation among faith-based asset owners of investment strategies to advance socially responsible investing, ESG integration, and/or impact investing. Guide Affiliates’ work on development of investment guidelines, manager evaluation, and impact measurement.
- Lead verbal and written communications about the Program to disseminate best practices and resources broadly to advance objectives and uptake.
- Stay abreast of research and trends in responsible, ESG, and impact investing and strategic investment topics.
- Participate in networks and working groups relevant to mission-aligned investing.
- Support overall organizational priorities and strategic goals and commitment to furthering the mission of Investor Advocates for Social Justice.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, business, or accounting. Master’s degree or equivalent experience preferred.
- Minimum 5-7 years of professional experience. Experience in financial services field, including, but not limited to marketing and client services, business development, investment consulting, investment advisory services, portfolio construction, ESG analysis, manager selection or evaluation preferred.
- Possess strong analytical skills, vision, and strategic thinking.
- Demonstrated commitment to mission-aligned work and commitment to IASJ’s mission priorities, including human rights, climate justice, racial equity, and the common good.
- Understanding of racial justice, connections of race to capitalism and economic justice, and the racial wealth gap. Ability, or willingness to learn, to integrate racial equity analysis into all aspects of the position.
- Comfort working within the Catholic faith tradition and interfaith settings.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Possess a strong work ethic and demonstrate sound judgment. Have a high degree of flexibility and ability to adjust to changing circumstances.
- Proven ability to take initiative, and work as a self-starter and team member.
- Experience working with nonprofits preferred.
About Investor Advocates for Social Justice (IASJ)
Investor Advocates for Social Justice (IASJ) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that advocates on behalf of a community of investors with over $3 billion in assets under management, whose faith-based values promote human rights, climate justice, racial equity and the common good. IASJ’s shared vision is an equitable economy where investors leverage their collective voice and resources to advance social, economic and environmental justice. IASJ conducts programs and provides services for its Affiliates, who are faith-based asset owners who strive to align their investments with their mission and who recognize their investment portfolios can also be an instrument to advance their ministries. Founded in 1975, formerly known as Tri-State Coalition for Responsible Investment, IASJ has over forty-five years of experience with shareholder advocacy and responsible investment.
Anticipated Start Date: Mid-end October 2020
Location: Our team is currently working remotely until COVID-19 allows for safe return to the office, which is in Montclair, NJ. Ideally the candidate will be able to work in our office full-time or have the ability to be in the office with some consistency.
Compensation & Benefits
IASJ offers an annual salary of $82,000 – $90,000 and a benefits package which includes health and dental insurance, a 403(b) plan after one-year, and generous vacation.
Investor Advocates for Social Justice is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, equity, and fostering inclusion and a sense of belonging. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.